Wednesday, September 16, 2009

well, not such fabulous news here. i had my scan last monday and they said i only had like 4 follicles that would be ready in time for ER. they upped my dose of meds and i had another scan today. only 5. for my age, they say that i may be someone that has diminished ovarian reserve.. not what i wanted to hear, but at LEAST that's some sort of diagnosis, and i'm not crazy for trying ivf. we are still on for monday ER, but we will not have NEARLY as many eggies as we had planned. i'd love for one or two to be great...but i'm cautiously hopeful. going to the temple to pray about it tomorrow, but just wanted to say thanks again.

anyone have problems with ovarian response or reserve??

4 comments:

Hillary said...

I'm so sorry about your news. However, I know lots of people who only got like 4 or 5 eggs at retrieval and still got pregnant. I have one friend who needed 450 iu of Follistim just to get any follicles to grow at all, and ended up getting pregnant with twins.

I'm surprised your doctor is leaping to the conclusion of poor response/diminished reserve when your dose hasn't been very high. Your body just might be a little resistant to the FSH, so it needs more of it to get going. From what I've seen, poor response/diminished reserve comes from a high dose, long stimulation, and barely any follicles. You seem to be doing much better than that!

Remember that even if there aren't many follicles to retrieve, it's their maturity and quality that really count. If they are all mature and of good quality, they should fertilize and grow well--getting you to at least day 3, if not day 5.

Good luck, and we'll be praying for you!

Love,
Hill

Katey said...

My ovaries had a really hard time responding to the FSH. They ended up upping my dosage and pushing retrieval back a week. Even then, they weren't sure that we would have more than 8. We ended up having 25 mature eggs. But you don't need 25 mature eggs. Just one :) A good friend of mine had very few mature eggs and only one fertilized and she was still successful.

Jon & Kim said...

Stay positive and we will be praying for you!!!

Rachel Doyle said...

I hope things go well for your retrieval. My cousin had issues with her eggs but after about several IVF tries they got twins!!! Anything is possible.