Thursday, April 16, 2009

Happy Progress

Hi all! Well, it looks like things are marching along swimmingly for our IVF. Woohoo! Finally some good news, right?

Today we had our Lupron class, where a nurse taught us all about the different injections I get to have over the next few weeks. All I can say about that is that if I have a problem with needles, I'm going to have to get over it quickly! The Lupron looks easy enough, and even the Follistim or Gonal-F didn't look too bad. The Repronex scared me a bit because the nurse admitted that it's usually the most painful. I'm not worried about the hCG because I've had it before. The biggest bummer was the progesterone--turns out if we're lucky enough for this to work, I'll have to have it daily up to at least 8 weeks of pregnancy and possibly 10. Yikes! But, of course, totally worth it. I was reading the other day how almost any woman would say theoretically that she'd do anything for her child, but we women who are experiencing infertility are already doing practically anything and everything! Look at all the stuff we're doing just to get a baby here!

We also had a trial transfer, where our doctor simulated the transfer of embryos to check the depth of my uterus and make sure there weren't any problems getting a catheter fed through to the top of my uterus. It was just like an IUI (relatively painless), and went smoothly.

Oh, and we found out I'm immune to Rubella, am not a carrier of Cystic Fibrosis, have normal TSH (thyroid) levels, and O+ blood (which I already knew, but I guess it had to be documented by a lab), meaning no Rh factor issues.

I start the injections on Sunday. I'm a little nervous about my ability to inject myself (hopefully I'm not a wimp). But I am so so so excited to get this process going!

4 comments:

Jon & Kim said...

This is so exciting!! I really am so excited for you and this amazing journey you are starting. Though it will be that hardest thing you will ever do it will be worth it. I tried to do the shots myself and couldn't so I had Jon do it for me. I would sit in the bathroom for 15min. trying to muster up the courage to do it. Finally I just handed it over to Jon. He did a great job and it was a lot better for me. The progestrone shots are not as bad as you think they are going to be. Oh Hillary I am praying my guts out for you. It is going to work!!! You just have to think that way and never allow doubt to creep in. Have faith and hold on tight!! And don't forget to enjoy the ride. Lots of LOVE!!!!

RaeAnn said...

For me the injections really weren't that bad...but the progesterone suppositories SUCK! Four words....sleep on a towel. ew.
Oh, I just read Kim's comment and said the opposite thing :( Funny what things affect us differently!

gabeandstef said...

Hillary congrats and I as well am praying for you......Good Luck

Jon & Kim said...

I didn't do suppositories, I did injections. My Dr. wanted me to do the shots until a few weeks preg. then I could switch to suppositories if I wanted to. All the same I am sure, just not fun!!!