Monday, April 13, 2009

Educating Others

Here are a few awesome tidbits from conversations we've had with people unfamiliar with infertility and its treatment. It's my hope that by talking about infertility with other people, it will seem less weird and taboo, and even those who aren't dealing with it will be better educated about it.

Conversation #1:

Person: "So, you're doing in vitro?"
Me: "Yep, we start next Sunday."
Person: "I just don't know how I feel about that stuff. I guess if it were me I'd just want a normal pregnancy."
Me: "I want that too. Fortunately, if it works, that's exactly what we'll have."
Person: "Wait, you mean after the procedure it's a real, normal pregnancy?"
Me: "Well, yes. What did you think? Nine months from now the techs will remove our baby from the test tube and we'll pick him or her up from the lab?"

Conversation #2:

Person (who doesn't know we are doing in vitro): "So, you guys want to have a baby?"
Me: "Yes, we have for quite a while now."
Person: "Well, let me know when you're pregnant. I can recommend an awesome midwife. She's a big believer in all-natural pregnancy and childbirth. She'd never accept a patient who did freakish, totally unnatural stuff like that crazy California lady who had 8 kids. I mean, what has happened to society that we let doctors play God and create artificial life? If the Lord wants someone to have a baby, He'll let her get pregnant. We shouldn't be interfering."
Me: "Um, well, Brian and I are actually beginning in vitro next week. So I guess I won't be needing that referral."
Person (obviously uncomfortable): "Uh, no, I guess not. I mean, she's all about natural...and you guys are going about as far away from that as possible!"
Me: "Yep, and we're THRILLED! Wish us luck!"

7 comments:

Shannon said...

Good luck with your in vitro! We did it twice and the second time we had a normal healthy beautiful girl come out the normal pregnancy kind of way!!!:)

You're right about education and I am so sorry we all have to deal with people like that!!

Baby Steps said...

I hope you haven't really had conversations like that.

But I guess that's the "other" worst part of dealing with infertility - dealing with uninformed people who don't think before they speak.

I'd love to be added to your blog. My email is myownlittlemockumentaryatgmaildotcom. Thanks!

Jared,Tamara +Kylie Morgan said...

You should have told her then that if she or any of her loved ones get cancer then they shouldn't treat it because it's "God's will". I'm sorry your dealing with such stupid comments.

RaeAnn said...

Here is one of my favorite convos throughout fertility treatments.

Them: You are seekign medical intervention to try and get pregnant? I think you should just let God do what He wants to do and not interfere.

Us: Didn't you have a vasectomy last year?

Still makes me smile.

Dan and Stacy said...

People are so uneducated!!!! I do have to say that I love your responses. I am just not that clever until after I have stopped fuming!!!!!

And the comment about the vasectomy is awesome. Hopefully most people that we are around most are a bit more sensitive. Good luck on your in vitro and I hope all works out.

Beck said...

I would've loved to be a fly on the wall during those conversations!

Hehehe.

I LOVE your responses - classic!

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

I LOVE your responses. ;)

and I am LOL at the vasectomy comment!

I too feel like the more I talk about infertility and miscarriage, the less taboo it becomes.. but it is still sometimes hard to start the conversations. :)