Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Deep breath...

Ok, so I did it. Finally. No more procrastination. No more being wishy-washy. I called today to schedule our in vitro consultation, which is the first step in the 5-6 week process.

We weren't sure if in vitro was right for us. We spent months praying to know if we should pursue in vitro or give up on biology and pursue another completely valid and incredible road to parenthood, adoption. We almost adopted twins in November--did I mention that? But as we learned more about them and their birth mom, the scarier it became. They were preemies, having been exposed significantly to drugs and alcohol. They were in the NICU, and were going to be for a long time. They were going to require extensive medical care, as one or both of them had brain bleeds (which would likely lead to cerebral palsy). Plus the birth mom was feeling unsure about placement. After a great deal of thought and prayer, we got our answer: this wasn't right, and we should pursue in vitro for the moment. We feel like we should open as many doors and pursue as many paths as possible to parenthood. So in vitro now (because my fertility has an expiration date), with the possibility of adoption later.

So we decided to save up and schedule our in vitro after the new year. But I also had a strong confirmation from the Spirit that adoption was divinely ordained for children who deserve a loving, stable, two-parent home but happen to have been born into less than ideal circumstances. Maybe that will be us in the future, and I sure hope so, regardless of whether in vitro works for us.

So our consultation is scheduled for February 24, with the actual in vitro stuff going on mid-March. I am excited and terrified all at the same time. I'd love to hear more about your experiences with in vitro, especially if it involved ICSI and/or male factor infertility. Please fill me in on what we've gotten ourselves into!

P.S. I wanted to welcome Sara Roberts, our newest sister in need of support.

8 comments:

Becca said...

best wishes to you in your journey..i pray everything will be successful to you.
speaking of IVF and vacations, my friend showed me this site...interesting...and tempting...
http://www.ivfvacation.com/

Jon & Kim said...

Hillary I am so excited for you. IVF is painful both emotionaly and physically but completely worth it! I am saying that after ours didn't even work. If you go to my blog and go back to some of my first post you will find step by step our whole IVF process. Please read it I think it will help you know more what to excpect. It was the reason for me starting my blog so I could fill family and friends in with one post and not a bunch of phone calls. Be forwarnd it is very raw and sometimes painful to read, BUT I hope you can gain something from it. Although it did not work for us I would do it again if we could afford it right now. I am proud of you for taking this HUGE step, it takes a lot of courage to do what you are doing. I learned so much about myself durring our IVF and I am so glad we tried it. I always say "I have a choice..... I can put myself out there and do what ever it takes to have the family I have always dreamed about or I can sit and let it get the better of me. It is worth EVERY tear and heartache. To be a mother is the most wonderful gift and I personally feel I would do what ever it took!!!

Lots and lots of prayers and love going your way. My neighbors sister just did IVF and it worked!!! It is a great option! Good Luck and keep us posted.

Love Kim

Keri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keri said...

I've been away from blogger land so long, that I've forgotten how to post a comment. The deleted one was me -so sorry.

Moving on.

Yay! This is truly fabulous news. I've been reading quite slew of information on ICSI, and it seems to have more favorable results than the standard in vitro process when male factor is involved, so hopefully with your hopefulness and youthfulness, you'll be a wonderful success story for us gals to read about. Good luck, and keep us updated with the horrific details! (always love to hear)

Jon & Kim said...

I forgot to mention we did ICSI as well. You might as well give yourself the best chance possible! I am thinking of you!

{owens} said...

hey everyone...i'm new...i'd love to join this blog. i'm kinda new to infertility, but am learning fast that its tough. fearing the unknown is the hardest part for me. i'm not sure if this is the place where i leave my email..if it is, its ashandcam@gmail.com. if not, can someone redirect me to where i need to leave the email. thanks to hillary for inviting me, and good luck with ivf. i have been ever so slightly telling myself that may be our path down the road.

{owens} said...

ps, my name is ashley

Kaylee said...

Hi I found this site through the R House. I would love to join and be a part of it. I find it very comforting to hear other people's stories.
My husband and I have tried for 4 years and have done everything in the book. We tried In Vitro twice last year and it didn't work. I'm glad we gave it a try just for the peace of mind. We are still trying to decide if we should do it again. We have just been approved for adoption through LDS services and are excited to see waht happens there.
As far as the acutal procedure for in vitro goes I didn't think it was too bad. The biggest suggestion would be is to make sure you have a great doctor who is willing to take as much time needed to answer your questions.
Good luck with everything!!
jasonandkaylee.blogspot.com