Thursday, March 12, 2009

Hello

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking a little bit and thought I would finally post. My name is Greta, and my husband and I have been married for 4 years. After about a year of trying, we found out that it was impossible for us to have children the natural way. In a way, in the world of infertility, it could be seen as a good thing, because at least we know for certain that there are no feritility treatments that will ever be able to help us. In other way, it's devastating, because there will never be any hope of it. I wish there was a treatment we could try. But, at the same time, there are no treatments we can try--so it definitely narrows it down!

We started the adoption process last fall, and we are looking and waiting for our child. The process to come to the decision to adopt was a long one. I thought I would post because I still feel worried about it sometimes and have feelings of doubt. Sometimes I wonder if we were really meant to have children. But, then, sometimes I can't imagine a life without providing a loving home for a child. I think all of those feelings are natural. I think everyone haves them, even if they don't have any trouble having kids. It's so hard to know what to do when you are faced with infertility, and it compounds those uncertain feelings, I think. But, I try not to worry too much, and to know that the Lord will guide us, and He will let us know if there is something we should or shouldn't do. But, it's really hard sometimes. These decisions certainly aren't easy.

Well, anyway, I would be interested to hear about any adoption experiences! It's been nice to read your posts.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Welcome Greta! It is nice to have you here. I remember the stage you are in all too well. The what ifs sometimes completely overwhelmed me. To the point that I would question EVERYTHING.
Keep your chin up, your knees on the floor, and the confidence of your husband. You can do this:)

Beck said...

Welcome!

If you'd like to read my experience (if you haven't been here long) the link is:

http://beccaski.blogspot.com/2008/07/mandatory-trust-in-god.html

Hope this helps.

Keri said...

My comment on Kendalls post talks a little bit about our adoption experience. We changed our minds every day, twice a day! We wondered if we would be chosen, we wondered if we would be completely lousy parents and therefore shouldn't rock the boat. In the end our experience was great, though I know it's not the case for everyone. And you're right about everyone at some point in their lives questioning the decision to have children, whether adopted or biological. I know many moms who struggle with these feelings and have no fertility issues whatsoever.

I have had many women tell me that experiencing childbirth is miraculous and they feel sad that I haven't been able to, and I can't help but say to myself "I'm sad that you've never been given the chance to experience adoption, so I guess we're even".

Glad you've joined us and best of luck with the adoption process.

Jon & Kim said...

Adoption is scary for most people who find themsleves in your situation. I cried after every adoption class we went to. I felt overwhelmed and alone. Could I love a child that was not born to us, could I open my life to a birthmother, could I handle all the questions my child would some day have. On top of all of this You have a case worker comming to your house asking you personal questions and really invading your privacy. (not ther fault) It is a very hard process and anyone who has gone through it would agree. But we would also agree that it was worth it and that all the fears we had seem a little silly now. I knew the second I held both my boys in my arms they were mine. I also knew that what ever was ahead of us we could face. I now find that the adoption process is a sweet and amazing part of our lives. If it feels right you can do it. I found I was far more capable of loving than I thought. Good luck and keep us posted....